Monday, November 25, 2013

Inspiration: Paper Houses

Lately, I've been really into paper crafts, especially making tiny paper houses. I've been using them to decorate for Christmas, although my display isn't finished so I'm not posting the results just yet.
I learned recently that paper houses, or Christmas villages were started as a Moravian Church tradition. Initially, they started including a nativity scene with their Christmas decor. Eventually, they became more elaborate and included Bethlehem as well. Finally, they became whole, intricate villages. In the post War period, Japan started mass producing paper houses to use as Christmas decorations and today these are very collectable for those interested in creating vintage feeling holidays.

I found the template for my first paper houses in an old Martha Steward craft book. It wasn't mine and I can't remember which book it was exactly, so I can't share that template, but I found some others that I can't wait to try.

Bethlehem! This is the next set I'm going to try.
There are more instructions for constructing a glitter Church and house here
This site provides links to dozens of paper house templates and tutorials. So many are so cute, but I haven't had a chance to fully explore yet. 

The other thing I'm really into at the moment is dioramas, but that's a post for another day.







1 comment:

Dora said...

These look so cute! I'm going to make some for Christmas too