Saturday, June 1, 2013

Painting with Night time Light

 My latest favourite kind of photography is night time photography, using a slow shutter. Shooting fireworks is always fun anyway, but if you delay the shutter you even catch the smoke patterns in the sky. Anyway, here's a few of my latest creations.
The bottom photos were taken at Port Maitland Pier about ten minutes from my house. I didn't make the starbursts in post or use any filters. I was shooting with a really shallow depth of field (f2.4). To be perfectly honest, I remember deliberately choosing to shoot that way, but I can't think what the logic was being as I was deliberately trying to use longer exposures and an aperture that small would let in a whole ton of light. Nope, I remember. The remote I was using to trigger the shutter wasn't functioning properly on "B" mode. So I had to make sure the shutter was set to speed that the camera could handle without my manually determining the length. So it was probably a 30 second shutter approximately.
Also, if you're interested, I played around a lot with different white balances. My favourite was incandescent. But I think all of these were set for flash.

Sorry, a lot of camera gibberish. If you trying to learn more about night photography and come across this post and want to know more, just send me an email alovelylittleworld@yahoo.com

:)








2 comments:

Lisa said...

That's so cool, i love the way they came out.

Teddi said...

oh my freaking gorgeous! charity, i am continually in awe of your photography. :)