Saturday, September 15, 2012

DIY: Glitter vase

A little while ago I found a great post about making and using glitter vases for Random Acts of Kindness. I really wanted to link to the post, being as it wasn't my idea, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

The task was to find plain vases, decorate them, put a flower in the finished vase, and leave it on a table in a public place with a card telling them to take it and have a nice day. I loved the idea, and always wanted to do it.

Anyway, I finally got around to making a vase. Here's how.

1) Cover the area of the vase you want glittery with mod podge. If you desire only one section to be glittery like the light pink one in the picture, you should use masking tape to prevent the glue dripping into the space you don't want it.

2) Cover the mod podge with lots and lots of glitter. Shake off glitter as you go a long. Let it dry upside down.

3) After it's really, really dry, apply another coat of glue. At this stage, fill in any spots that you missed or aren't as you want them to be.

4) Add more more mod podge!

It's probably the easiest DIY ever.

The darker coloured vase was actually a mix of three colours of glitter.
At the end of the project, I collected all the spilled glitter and still had 2.5 containers out of 4 left!

As everyone knows I'm not a painter, but sometimes I do it just for fun. Here's the latest. I messed up the umbrella, but I don't really care being as it was just for me.





1 comment:

jaclynn said...

I Love your picture! Never compare. Always explore, and have fun! That's my motto.