Monday, July 2, 2012

Paying It Forward: Things I've Seen

1) I was in Niagara Falls and a man's car stalled at the intersection. Two other men who were standing outside ran over to help him as he pushed it through the intersection so he could pop the clutch or whatever it is you have to do to get standard car running again.

2) Someone I know dropped his cellphone on the road while getting out of the car. A teenage boy was walking past the house and saw the cellphone. At first, he was just going to keep walking. Then he thought "no, I can't do that". He brought the cellphone up to the house.
3) During my training at the Library, my trainer was talking about customer service. In his opinion, it was important to do little things to make the patrons feel good about themselves. This struck me as so kind, because do most people actually think like that? I think usually customer service is about being friendly and courteous, but for him, it's about going to the next level, and actually making them feel good about themselves. I think only a big-hearted person would think like that.
4) Over a year ago, I taught computer skills. In the last month, one of my students, an elderly gentleman who was always so nice and grateful for the time I spent with him, carved me a beautiful, beautiful mirror frame. I meant to take a picture to show you. The wood is smooth and 12 years old at least. It's dark wood and so perfectly carved, you wouldn't know he did it in his home workshop. It means so much to me that he did that for me.

Not only should we always be kind, we should also see and acknowledge the kindness we see in others. The News and politics present us with a bleak world, and it's easy to be weighed down by that, so it's important that we find the goodness in others and in the small pleasures around us. 

People, like birds, are designed to fly. We, unlike the birds, are only as caged as we let ourselves be.
Canada Day nail polish :)

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it" - Confucius

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me" - Ayn Rand

"We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm" - Churchill (Me too Mr. Churchill, me too!)






3 comments:

Amanda Rose said...

This is a great post. People do need to spend more time thinking about others. I also love the button pictures.

http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

Teddi said...

charity, this is heartwarming, genuine, & beautiful! the photos, the words, & what it all means. <3 xo :)

Emmett Katherine said...

this was such an up-lifting post, it's all about small acts of kindness :)