Monday, July 16, 2012

Paying it Forward: Books

I don't actually have a heart felt pay it forward post today, or a political outburst on green space like last week. So, I was thinking about things that inspire me, since the original intent for Mondays was just inspiration, not necessarily paying it forward. What gives you inspiration?

Obviously as a photographer, other photographs inspire me....
I love photographs that seem to belong to another world, and digital photography has made this a more popular Art form.

When I was in high school, I wanted to be a writer. Most of my stories were inspired by dreams. To this day, I still have dreams that run like short movies.... with conflict and resolution, beginnings and endings.

I use to write stories too, when I fell in love with a song or a book. 
The Fugees cover of Killing Me Softly and Charles Dickens' Tale of Two City provided me with constant day dreams. I felt so badly about Sydney Carton's unrequited love for Lucy that I created Sydney like characters who would get the girl... and Killing me softly inspired stories about brooding guitar players in smoky coffee houses. In those days, movies would disrupt my world for weeks on end, particularly ones on tragic events in History. Suddenly all of my essays would centre around the corruption of power, or racial injustice. I think I have never fully recovered from American History X.

Today, books especially still make me think for hours and hours, or change my mood, or influence my dreams. For non-fiction, I can devour Joyce Meyer and Michel Foucault.... despite the complete differences in the style and content. Joyce Meyer I try to apply... Foucault I just find fascinating. 

*“If you want to be unhappy, uncomfortable, and insecure, just spend your life trying to do something that is not right for you.  It is just like trying to wear shoes that don’t fit.” - Joyce Meyer

"Justice must always question itself, just as society can exist only by means of the work it does on itself and on its institutions." - Foucault

Now, I will clarify right now, when I say a writer speaks to me, I don't necessarily mean his or her personal philosophies. I don't mean everything about a given book... I just mean I connect to something in that book.... one particular character usually... or I understand the internal monologue of a specific character. Is that confusing?

My three favourite authors keeping the above in mind?
Nick Hornby
Ayn Rand
Francesca Lia Block.
As an aside, I also related ridiculously well to the heroine in Stephenie Meyer's The Host. I always maintain it's because she wants so badly to protect her little brother and I've always felt insanely protective of mine.

So... inspiring quotations from my favourite books....

“It's no good pretending that any relationship has a future if your record collections disagree violently or if your favorite films wouldn't even speak to each other if they met at a party.” 
― Nick Hornby


“The plain state of being human is dramatic enough for anyone; you don't need to be a heroin addict or a performance poet to experience extremity. You just have to love someone.” 
― Nick HornbyHow to Be Good

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Ayn Rand

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
Ayn Rand

“The wishes might not come true the way you think they will, not everything will be perfect, but love will come because it always does, because why else would it exist and it will make everything hurt a little less. You just have to believe in yourself.” 
― Francesca Lia BlockDangerous Angels: The Weetzie Bat Books 


“Do you know when they say soul-mates? Everybody uses it in personal ads. "Soul-mate wanted". It doesn't mean too much now. But soul mates- think about it. When your soul-whatever that is anyway-something so alive when you make music or love and so mysteriously hidden most of the rest of the time, so colorful and big but without color or shape-when your soul finds another soul it can recognize even before the rest of you knows about it. The rest of you just feels sweaty and jumpy at first. And your souls get married without even meaning to-even if you can't be together for some reason in real life, your souls just go ahead and make the wedding plans. A soul's wedding must be too beautiful to even look at. It must be blinding. In must be like all the weddings in the world-gondolas with canopies of doves, champagne glasses shattering, wings of veils, drums beating, flutes and trumpets,showers of roses. And after that happens-that's it, this is it. But sometimes you have to let that person go. When you are little, people , movie and fairy tales all tell you that one day you're going to meet this person. So you keep waiting and it's a lot harder than they make it sound. Then you meet and you think, okay, now we can just get on with it but you find out that sometimes your soul brother partner lover has other ideas about that. ” 
― Francesca Lia BlockDangerous Angels: The Weetzie Bat Books 

So the point of all this is... books pay it forward to me.





1 comment:

Teddi said...

yeah i see the point, & i totally get it. :) well done post darling! oh, & i'm expecting to see some of your writing very soon. do i need to give you a deadline? ;)