Thursday, January 19, 2012

Spotlight on Renowned Photographs some I love, some I don't

Dedicated to the Photographers who paved the way. I picked the following photographers because we looked at their work in History class this week. My prof is amazing. I love her. I hope when I get a college job, I'm as awesome as her! haha
By Laurie Simmons, 1979.
To be honest, I find her work a bit too out there for my personal tastes. She works a lot with "love" dolls and miniatures and makes her humans look oddly dead. This doesn't mean I'm not fascinated to some extent by how her brain works, but I simply wouldn't look at it for long or hang it in my home.
By Richard Avedon, 1959
See more of his work here

On the other hand, I never get tired of looking at Richard Avedon's work. He has photographed many Artists, Celebrities, and politicians. His work is beautiful, simply composed and makes an immediate impression. 

We also studied Joel Peter Witkin. His work tends to be morbid, with dismembered body parts and lonely nudes. Some of it I really hate, but some of it, although hard to look at it, really does capture a feeling of aloneness and isolation... separation. You might be interested to check it out, but here's your warning.
Instead of posting a picture of his work, I will post a picture of him! haha
By Edward Burtynsky, 2003
Link to his website

Burtynsky's work is more my speed. It's very political and environment. He did a complete book on oil and the future of the oil and the planet. His work is thought provoking and powerful. It's beautiful in a way, even though you wouldn't think of oil mines being beautiful. 
William Morrison made photographs of Georgia O'Keefe's hands.
Link here
This image makes me happy.
Also appropriate for my safe place brain,
P.H. Emerson was an American photographer who worked in England depicting the usually overlooked country homes of the not so elite. His photographs resemble impressionist paintings. This image is so beautiful, and doesn't make me feel disturbed. I know images that provoke feelings in you, even if it's to disturb you, are effective images.... but still, happy is good for me. 

Anyway, that's History class for this week!
Love you all.



3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Avedon is one of my favourite photographers, he took a wonderful photo of Bob Dylan which I've had saved on my laptop for as long as I can remember!
http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

Teddi said...

i adore Avedon's work! thank you for not showing the disturbing stuff. i don't even like horror movies. i can see the beauty in the oil mine, through Burtynsky's eyes. i'm sure he has a special point of view, with something worthwhile to say. was morrison's work highly commerical? emerson's photo looks like a painting.

Anonymous said...

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who has been doing a little research on this.
And he in fact bought me lunch due to the fact that
I found it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.
... Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending the time to discuss this
issue here on your site.
Also visit my web blog website