Monday, December 19, 2011

DIY Festive (or normal) ribbon earrings

I have two DIYS for you, but I will start with the Christmas-y one. Christmas-y in the sense that I used Christmas colours. They certainly don't have to be Christmas-y.

Also, I'm going to apologize straight off. For some reason, it seemed like a good idea to photograph these images in a dimly lit living room with an iphone. Many of them are blurry. I will do better next time :/
You will need:
Ribbon (2 colours)
Earring hooks
Eye pins
Cones
Plyers
Clear Nail polish

First I cut 4 pieces of ribbon, each piece approximately 8 inches long. (When you fold them double you will have 8 pieces, add more as you see fit)
In this picture there are 6 ribbon pieces... um, what can I say? Ignore that, haha.

Next take an eye pin, mine is brass coloured. Thread all 4 pieces through the eye. Stop half way. I found it was easier to thread all four ribbons at once, then one at a time. At this stage, you may want to add a dab of glue. My ribbons were snug enough I didn't bother.
Yep, you guessed it. Those ribbons gotta go through that hole.
Take the other end of the eye pin and thread it through the cone from the bottom (wide side) to the small side. The eye of the pin will still be inside the cone.
Trim off all but about 3/4 of an inch. (I just bend the pin at the spot I want to shorten it to, until the piece breaks off). Then bend the pin on a perpendicular angle to the dangly part of the earring.
With your plyers, make a loop by bending the wire back around on itself. Hook the loop onto the earring hook.

And that's it!
I'm going to play around with the lengths and colours I think. If you try them, let me know how it goes... or if you have questions.

Only 6 more sleeps!

3 comments:

Ngaio May said...

EEee! These are so cool!! Pity I don't have my ears pierced though, maybe I might make them for someone... :)

Ngaio May xx

A Splash of Ida said...

Cute!!! :-)

Teddi said...

oooo pretty ribbon earrings! i want to know about that gorgeous glitter nail polish you're wearing too.