Sunday, May 8, 2011

For the Girls Who Grew Up Without Moms

I have a mother because of course, everyone does. I won't get into the details but I will say, my dad raised me during my pre-teen/early teens years and then my aunt and uncle took me in when my dad was sick (and eventually died) due to a brain tumor.

I never missed having a mom, does that sound calloused? Life was what it was. And I'm sure, like so many other people without mothers, other women and even our fathers, gain increasing importance. I adored my father, he answered all the questions I had, even about shaving my legs and puberty, which I suppose must have been awkward for him.
If he didn't know what to do, he steered me to my mom's sister. She stepped in and has been so good to me, welcoming me into her family.
Happy Mother's Day, Auntie.

There is something that I have learned from not growing up with my mother, families aren't always made by blood. Along life's journey, I have met so many amazing women, (and people in general), whom I love more than so many family members. Family is about hearts really and who you open your arms too. It's about the people you trust, and confide in and the people who makes life's moments special.
My great-aunts have always been there, and the women I worked with at the local Deli, even one of the women I taught computer skills to while working at the library.

I think sometimes people don't realize how many lives they touch with their kind words....
so to all the women in my life, thank-you. xo <3




6 comments:

Tiffany said...

What a great post~ I don't think I knew that your dad died from a brain tumor, that is what took my beautiful mom as well. I am happy that you have had so many amazing people to help raise you, they have done such an amazing job!
Thinking of you! And I am so glad to "know" you! :)

Miss Pancakes said...

this is a lovely tribute..it sometimes does take a village to raise children..newest followe...

Elis said...

So true--family are the people in your life that love and care about you and will be there for you, whether or not they are related by blood. This is an amazing post. <3
P.S.
What a cute little girl you are! ^_^

Teddi said...

the photo of ur dad chokes me up. did u take the top flower photo? luv it! i truly believe that friends are the family u choose, 4 ur soul.

Tascha said...

Hello, I've received this award Kreativ Blogger and now I'm passing it along to you. You can find it on my blog..

http://tlk-designs.blogspot.com/2011/05/awardfor-me-awesome.html

Have a great day!

Tascha

ThatGirl in Tattoos said...

I'm glad I found this, I've been in a rut since Mother's Day.
I also grew up without a mother, but under different circumstances. She passed away of cancer when I was 11. My dad never knew how to care for a girl, so I was pretty much on my own. I still struggle with going to the cemetary and it's been almost 20 years. I'm not sure that it ever gets easier.
Sorry to hear about your father.