Monday, May 2, 2011

Diy Feather Hair Extension!

So.... I finally made myself a feather hair extension. I've decided it needs another strand, but I will show you what I have so far! I also have enough feathers to make myself a pair of earrings. My students are graduating in a month or so, and all the girls have been dress shopping, which made me want a new outfit too (of course!) but I was thinking maybe I could just dress up my black sundress with some pretty feathers in my ears. They will be very impressed, haha. Last time I wore feather earrings, everyone wanted to touch them, which is kinda weird. Anyway...
A feathery stash. I bought a few, but then my uncle gave me a bunch. He use to tie his own flies for fly fishing and actually said "Don't buy feathers ever again!" haha.
The peacock feathers are actually for some photos I'm doing next weekend.

So I picked out some feathers...
Then I shoved the feather tips into these crimp beads... the kind that are rectangular and fold inward over top the ends of leather strands usually. They have a hole on the end for attaching to a clasp.

I used a tiny bit of jewellry glue before I crimped the metal, just to make sure everything was secure. My first attempt, I ripped three of the feathers out of the crimped metal... so I wanted to be safe the second time.
Then I glued one end of a bit of brown embrodiery thread to the metal and wrapped it around, knotting it through the hole, just to make it look more finished.

Then I secured it to a bobby pin and ....
Voila! It kinda works haha. Please disregard my ugly sweater. (I will add, I quickly just shoved the extension in my hair to snap the picture... I didn't "style" it at all)

Looking for an article on attaching the feathers right into your hair, I found this one helpful.

7 comments:

Erin Dawn said...

Oh, I love hair feathers! <3 Cute!

Elis said...

I love feathered accessories! The ones you made are so pretty and they look lovely on you. ^_^ I wish I could find those crimp beads around here--I have needed some so many times but I never seem to be able to find any at the store! :/

Pamplemousse1983 said...

oh man, great idea! I'll definitely have to stop by the craft store and pick up supplies ;)

Rach said...

what a great blog! you are so inspirational! if you get the chance i would love for you to check out my blog and give me some of your opinions on it! i would really appreciate it! :)

follow me?
www.so--hi.blogspot.com

milliemorganmedia said...

Too Cute! I am a new follower from the Sunday Strolling Blog Hop! Your blog is too cute and I look forward to reading more post. Please come check out my blog and follow me too!

http://milliemorganmedia.blogspot.com

Healthy Hair said...

Lovely style!
You are great at tutorials, SO EASY TO FOLLOW!!
Thank you

organic root stimulator temple balm

lollipoopmonster said...

I love your clip in hair extensions, did you really make it yourself? can you make a video tutorial of this one? I'd like to make my own accessories too.
Thanks