Friday, September 17, 2010

Pretty envelopes made from recycled magazines

Probably most of you have figured out this diy on your own already, but I didn't until my pen pal in Germany sent me this adorable envelope made from a magazine page, so I'm sharing it, just in case.
And of course, because it's a magazine page, even the inside is pretty!
I will also explain that the reason I'm posting this is, I joined It Starts With Us. It's an organization created to make the world a better place through small acts of kindness. The link is here, it's free and although occasionally challenging, a good exercise (for me anyway). Last week's mission was to take 15 minutes to teach someone something. I found this insanely challenging. How silly is that?
Without further adieu, here's the post!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Take a colourful page of a magazine. I prefer the non-glossy pages, (Boho magazine uses recycled paper and it has the perfect envelope texture). Fold it in half from left to right (just because it's easier to make the sides match)

2. Cut in about an inch and up approximately 5 inches. Round the corners just to make it look more finished.
3. On the top, cut in approximately an inch to match the bottom indentation, round the corners and the cut the incline (or start at the top and work the other way, making the incline first). I think my incline was about 2.5 inches, but it really depends on how big you want the flap.
                                        
4. Fold the sides in, then the bottom up and tape together (or glue). And that's really it.

5. Astrid sent me blank address labels. So I taped one on the front.


I should have posted this image further up I suppose, but this is what the magazine page SHOULD look like after you've made the cuts. This is a template I made tracing around Astrid's envelope. I don't know if it will work but if you can save it to your computer and use it as a template, feel free :) It's an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper.
Oops, it's a bit blurry. I hope you get the general idea!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

I love this! One of my pen pal project friends makes these. I raved about them to her and told her how awesome I thought they were. She sent me 20 of them in the mail. Very cool!

Rachele from The Nearsighted Owl said...

Oh, I'll have to try this! Thanks for the great tutorial!